Saturday, February 12, 2011

NORTH DALLAS THREE

              SCENE FROM MY FAVORITE FOOTBALL MOVIE: NORTH DALLAS FORTY
 

Coach B.A looking down at the monitor of an ancient Radio Shack TRS 80 computer and says to Phil: Now that’s it, that’s what it is Phil, that’s what it all boils down to, it’s your additude….

….and there’s a theme that runs through all this data Phil, it’s immaturity, your immaturity, you lack seriousness.
Phil to B.A: Well I scored 5 T.D.’s coming off the bench, that’s pretty serious.
B.A. says loudly to Phil: YOU SCORED 5 T.D.S? DON’T YOU KNOW WE WORKED FOR THOSE, WE PLANNED FOR EM? WE LET YOU SCORE THOSE TOUCHDOWNS!




This is a scene from one of the greatest football movies of all times, North Dallas Forty. Loosely base on the 70’s era Dallas Cowboys team. The movie has a great line-up, starring Nick Nolte, Mac Davis, Bo Svenson, J.D. Spradlin, Dabney Coleman and a real football player John Mutuszac who played for the Raiders back in the 70’s and he was great in the roll of O.W. Shaddock
Nick Nolte played the lead roll of Phil Elloit, wide receiver for the North Dallas Bulls; he was a talented receiver “best hands in the league”, but very cocky and a “regular wise ass” as Joe Bob (played brilliantly by Bo Svenson) called him.
 The movie came out in 1979 and was based more on the 70’s era football instead of the 60’s era that the book was based on.
I have this movie on my computer and when I watch the ass-chewing scene between the coach called B.A. and Phil, I think of today’s football game and some of the more well known wide receivers. I would like to take the above scene and replace fictional Phil Elliot with such notable star receivers such as: T.O., Chad Johnson (I still can’t bring myself to call this idiot Ocho Cinco with translates to eight five, not eighty-five) and Randy Moss.
While I admire their talent, I can’t get past their childish antics after they score a T.D.
The list is long and lame, but the standouts; Chad Johnson sporting his homemade future Hall Of Fame jacket; Terrell Owens stomping on the star of Texas when he was playing for the 49 ers; and Moss squatting and acting like he was mooning the fans. Compare these three receivers with the Largent, Wayne and Rice and who are true team players and stand in stark contrast to the three clowns who care more about making the highlight films than actually winning games.

                                                                            CLASS



Steve Largent

Jerry Rice
 
Reggie Wayne


                                                                                CLASSLESS












                                                                                    






















8 & 5





Moss


Owens

I want to take Phil Elliot out of that chair and put, the three stooges Terrell, Chad and Randy in his place. I want B.A (who was based on Tom Landry) to explain how the game is supposed to be played. Let B.A. tell them that they are supposed to be part of a team; they can't score one T.D. on their own. When they pull one of their ignorant stunts, they DEMEAN the game and disrespect their teammates.


the three stooges say to B.A.: “B.A. we’ve always given 100%” B.A. to the stooges:”100% !,Your talking about individual effort, yes you do give that, I don’t deny it, I’m talking about a team, a winning team. A winning team is 45 finely meshed gears working together in perfectly synchronization. One of those gears fly’s off on it’s own, I’ll pull it. And if that’s not straight enough, I’ll say it a different way. If you three guys want to play football for me you have to change starting right now.


Would these 3 stooges respond to this ass chewing the same way that the fictional Phil did?

Phil to B.A.;”B.A. I’m sorry if my immaturity has offended you and I’ll honestly try to change, but I’ve been a starter for 6 years and it’s hard to sit on the bench, but I’ll wait my chance. And when you do start me, I’ll make you glad you did.
B.A. to Phil:” I appreciate that Phil and we’ll see.”


Or would they do what they always do when they don’t get their way and sulk, backstab their quarterback and shut down their efforts.
I have a feeling their response to a coach B.A. type of chastisement would be: Same shit, different day.









No comments: