Wednesday, February 23, 2011

IS BLOGGING REALLY DYING?


What surprised me when I got into the blogging thing, was all the talk on the web about the death of blogging. What? I just started; was I so bad at this that I killed it for everyone?
After looking further into this subject I absolved myself of any responsibility. Apparently the decline of this venue has been going on way before I entered the fray.
Most blame the explosion of social networks, (mainly Facebook) for the impending demise of blogging. I really don’t understand what one thing has to do with the other; the Facebook I know, is not the platform for deep thought about the world around us. I’m not saying my blog is mind expanding in any way, but F.B. is more about friends getting back in touch and sharing day-to-day ordinary life. I know there are other uses for F.B., some of these revolutions in the Middle East depend on the communication supplied by this and other social networks, but that just seems to me to be just a fringe element of this media.
Am I missing something? Are there political forums in F.B. that are more effective then regular blogs? I try not to go all Limbaugh on F.B., sometimes when someone makes a really stupid political comment, I can’t help but jump in and put my opposing two cents in. I know that might upset a few people I care about, so I feel more comfortable doing it here; so if you don’t like what I have to say you don’t have to call up my URL. Maybe that explains my small readership. Oh well, like I said this blog is mainly self-serving anyway and I am shouting at my TV a lot less these days, which makes my wife happy.
The reason for this particular blog is to get a sense if reports of the death of blogging are greatly exaggerated or did I buy a ticket on the Titanic?

Comments anyone? Is blogging really on it’s way out?


19 comments:

Rita said...

Didn't you get the notice? You are supposed to shut up and sit down.

Apparently you didn't know I am not supposed to be upset when someone calls me a teabagger, even if they do it in their intolerant ignorance. Even when it's a comment on a picture of me as a child.

So, sit down, shut up....and blog away big brother.

CnC said...

yeah, but we gave him some hell for his troubles didn't we? heh heh

Rita said...

I was trying to explain to him rationally why that was offensive, but apparently I wasn't supposed to do that either.

Screw that.

I still love Dad's old saying. If you don't remember it, he used to say, "It's your mouth, you can haul coal in it if you want to."

CnC said...

he was runnin his mouth yesterday weighin in on the evil republicans and what was going on in Wisconsin. He was lying his ass off when he said he didn't know know why what he said was offensive. All leftwingers know what that refers to. That's why they say it, they can't argue on the merits of the subject, so they just insult the patroits

Ed Bonderenka said...

I agree with everything you said here.
I was also going to say what Rita said.
So what's the point.
I'll just stop blogging.
You killed it for me.

CnC said...

oh man Ed, say it ain't so. I didn't mean to wreck the whole system :-)

Rita said...

Ed: No, you WILL not stop blogging. That's what they want us to do. I rarely blog about politics, but I read alot of blogs from the right and the left to get a balance.

You're posts are interesting, otherwise I wouldn't read them. I think you and my brother have alot in common.

CnC said...

Rita, do you mean he is highly intellegent and handsome to boot just like me? Ed I thought I was one in a million, I guess I am one of the two in a million!

Rita said...

Ummmm, no CnC, that is NOT want I meant at all.

CnC, you also need to check out this guy's blog. http://4fraziers.com/wp/

It's where I found the Ted Nugent video and where he blogged about his father. Linked from Greybeard.

You need to add him to your links.

CnC said...

ok

Greybeard said...

I also missed the memo.
So until I get another...

Rita said...

Family should come first, but apparently that doesn't hold true for everyone.

CnC said...

it's gonna be ok don't let it get u down,

Timothy Frazier said...

I think it's just the end of bad blogging. You should be perfectly safe, your stuff is compelling and interesting and rates as good blogging, which is alive and well. Not at all like the blogs that are dying because they all simply contain rambling rants and nonsense about the end of the world.

Then again, my bad blogging is still earning me a few bucks per month, so maybe even the ranters will survive.

Thank your Sis for pointing me here, and don't stop...you're writing good stuff.

CnC said...

Thanks Timothy, I appreciate the words of encouragement. I will have to check out your blog as well. Last night I was going through some old photos for a blog I was working on and I ran across an old letter to the editor that I wrote in 96 or 97 and it was just packed full of ad hominem on the Clinton's. I thought I would blog a copy of it as an example of what I don't want to do on here. Hopefully I have learned a few thinks over the last 14 years of so, I still don't like the Clintons though.

CnC said...

Hey Tim I see from your web page your a fellow biker. Please try and convert my baby sister on that mode of tranportation. she is very anti bike and thinks I need to give mine up. I have been riding over 35 years with only one bump in the road that was not my fault. Some jackass ran a stop sign in front of me. Very cool bike you got there by the way.

Rita said...

Well since I'm the logical one in the family, lets see why I might object to the whole bike thing.

First of all you are a marketing whore for Target and not in a good day. The HUGE red target on your back doesn't help your argument.

Secondly, what kind of idiot rides not only without a helmet, long pants OR ID!!!!!

I don't care if you were riding to the pool in your comunity, no one knew who you were and the 180 over the car that didn't stop left you when even less brain cells than what you damaged as a kid using whatever kinds of drugs were available back then.

And FINALLY, since your work accident has now left you with two torn rotor cuffs and a necessary neck surgery to you will look like Herman Munster, give me ONE good reason you need to keep the bike?

One.. I'll settle for ONE. You cannot even turn your head enough to make a safe turn.

Ask Greybeard how many stupid bikers he medivacs in to an emergency center a year.

Oh, did we tell you we were all chipping in together again to but you a Mobility Scooter for your 56th birthday?

Now THAT you might be able to handle.

CnC said...

ok, Ill give you one good reason why I still want to ride, cuz I look so damn good on the thing ! hahaha

Rita said...

I think you must have replaced the mirrors in your house with pictures of Steve Hayes.