Thursday, December 8, 2011

YOU DO NOT HAVE A ROUTE TODAY

Thank you Jesus!  With the way I feel today, that is good news. I almost called in sick yesterday with a throat so sore it felt like I had been wearing Saddam's last necktie. 
Calling in sick is something I almost never do, calling in wrecked and in the hospital is another matter.
If you hit the sick button on your work laptop those 6 to 10 calls gets dumped on someone else's lap or some get rescheduled and I don't like to be responsible for either. 
I got the text from my tech manager yesterday that I had no calls for today and was told I could work in the shop. 
That was fine by me, I won't have to deal with getting in and out of the cold all day and if I'm feeling too bad in the morning I can just stay home. 
I checked the work laptop this morning just to make sure routing didn't have a surprise for me and saw those welcome words "YOU DO NOT HAVE A ROUTE TODAY" in bright red. 
I felt lousy, but good enough to come into the shop. 
This is Thursday, BNO or boys night out and if I had stayed home from work today and attempted to go to BNO I would have gotten that look. 
Kind of like when you were in school and stayed home sick then later you felt ok and wanted to go out and play. 
That shit just didn't fly. My daughter was good about that, she would be on her death bed, but as soon as the bus went by she would make a miraculous recovery and wanted to play. 
I asked her what she attributed this instant healing to. She told me she had the " comes and the go's". 
Little shit got me laughing with that and I had to give her a pass. 

So looks like I'm going to have a fairly easy day at work and won't have to miss out on the beer and pizza with the boys tonight. 
And maybe if I stay out too late tonight and wake up tomorrow morning
with a bad case of bottle flu ...
I may just have to call in sick. 
If I get a ratio of shit from the powers that be, I'll just have to tell them that I had a bad case of the comes and the go's. 

2 comments:

Greybeard said...

I'm salaried.
Makes no dif if I have an aircraft to fly or not, I still get paid.
But I also know that horse needs oats and the stall has to be shoveled out, whether I saddle up and ride or not.

My fear?
That business continues down the path I'm seeing in auto repair and my own small business- flight instruction and aerial photo flying...
Folks are scared $h--le$$ and are holding onto their dollars. And anyone with a lick of sense knows that can start ya on a vicious cycle.

I hope for your sake you don't hear "You do not have a route today", again anytime soon my friend.

CnC said...

Thanks's G.B. today it's my brothers turn to see that on his SST. they are putting us together to run a route again, don't know how long they will contunue to do that, thats almost 60 years combinded experiance riding around together. not very productive. there are some layoffs in the offing.