Sunday, December 4, 2011

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS A GUN !


Words I never expected to hear Jojo say to me. She has always been a little paranoid about my handguns and I would always hear the familiar "why are you taking that thing for?" whenever she saw me tuck my 9mm in.
Then last month she started asking me questions about guns and wanted to know how mine worked.
You can imagine me, as a survivor of 3 marriages how that raised the hair on the back of my neck when I heard that.
Damn! and I thought we were getting along fine!
After she convinced me there were no new life insurance policies taken out on me, I pulled the clip out and showed her the basics of how an automatic handgun works and the proper way to work the slide.


 I laid my gun on the counter and went to another room, about 5 minutes later I hear her yelling her head off. I rushed to the kitchen and found her holding my gun in the air with one hand on the grip and the other hand around the slide.
She was caterwauling because she had a piece of the palm of her hand caught in the slide.
Damn, a friendly fire casualty in my own home without a shot being fired!
As I am trying to figure out what she has stuck  and how best to get my gun back away from her she is still dancing around the kitchen screaming and pointing the gun in the air. The whole scene was reminiscent of an old western movie where you see a bunch of drunken cowboys and drovers hooping and hollering while they shoot up in the sky raising hell in town right before Clint Eastwood comes by and kicks their ass.


Now for the record, I did not teach her to put her hand AROUND the slide! She has a habit of putting her own twist on any helpful instruction I give her. I am free to say anything I want about my wife due to the fact she never reads my blogs. Not one!  I think she is embarrassed for me and doesn't want to bear witness to my feeble attempt to write.
Back to the story: I finally restrained Calamity Jane long enough to see how her hand was caught and how best to extract it with minimal damage to her hand and my weapon.
I pulled the slide back and freed her hand then she continued her drunken drover dance around the kitchen.  She was not seriously injured but she did have a nice little whelp on the palm of her non-shootin hand.
I just shook my head and said "I'm going to put this thing away now, we've had enough bloodshed for one day. Then I started laughing and kicking myself for not getting my IPhone out and taking a video of the bizarre scene.

Believe it or not, she wants to get her permit and wants a handgun for Christmas. I took her to some gun shops yesterday to look around for something other than jewelry this year.
I am trying my best to steer her towards a revolver and away from automatics. I kept trying to get her interested in a Smith & Wesson .38 Special. She kept looking at the Sig Sauer 380mm P238 Gambler, yeah an automatic and a damned expensive one at that!
That's my Jojo, whether we're jewelry shopping or gun shopping she always gravitates towards the more pricey stuff.
Were going to the gun range this week, I'll keep you posted.
And I promise, if she gets her damn hand caught again, she will have to wait till I get that video.


P.S. at the beginning of the post I referred to myself as a survivor of 3 marriages. The jury is still out as to whether or not I will survive my third marriage.

7 comments:

Rita said...

Not if she reads your blog.

CnC said...

She wont, as long as you dont rat me out haha

Rita said...

Too late.

Ed Bonderenka said...

My wife carries a Ruger SP101 in .357, but shoots .38 +P. This lessens recoil and makes her purse a deadly weapon. People often ask why her purse is so heavy, never suspecting.
Simplicity of operation (as you suspect your wife might need) is a big plus.
If she get slide bite without firing, imagine when she pulls the trigger...

CnC said...

Good point Ed

Rita said...

I'd laugh at her, but I fear I wouldn't be much better. Been telling Bob I've wanted to go to the shooting range ever since he's been spending Januarys in sunny Florida while I've been up here working and freezing my arse off.

No, not to use on him, but because he puts on in our bedroom and one in the living room easy for me to get to while he's gone. I've picked them up only twice, just in case, but do not feel comfortable with them.

My nephew-in-law laughed the other day when I meant to say I got my Indiana lifetime gun permit and instead said I had my "learner's permit".

I want the gun to feel comfortable in my hand when if I ever might need it, but right now if I pick it up I'm afraid of it.

But dang, CnC you SHOULD have taped the JoJo incident. That would have been a great Christmas present for everyone in the family.

CnC said...

it was funny as hell!