Saturday, February 4, 2012

YOU'RE DONE WITH ROLLER COASTERS

I really love roller coasters. I like the wooden ones the best and my favorite used to be The Beast, at Kings Island. Then I rode The Voyager at Holliday World, that ride smokes! I don't know if it qualifies as a true wooden coaster as it has wood rail supports on a steel frame.
I haven't been on any coaster wood or steel since the accident. I could have done it if I just had the torn rotator cuff, but the two ruptured discs in my neck were a deal breaker.
A year after the rotator cuff surgery the surgeon cleared my to resume all my normal activities. Several months after my cervical spinal fusion surgery the surgeon who performed the surgery cleared me for most activities, except one.
The guy who slashed my throat and had a knife a fraction of an inch from my spinal cord said, "you're done with roller coasters".  Damn! I really am going to miss that rush of adrenalin I always got from the highs and lows and break-neck speed of that ride.

When I heard the heartbreaking news of Peyton Manning’s injury and problems with his surgeries,  (that was similar to mine, only my bone grafts fused after the first surgery), I didn't have much hope that he could or should play again.

I’m not even sure how long I can continue fixing people's shit and he wants to play a game that has 300 pound smashing machines who's one goal is to slam into him at full throttle.


The focus and attention of this years Super Bowl in my hometown has been split with the future of Peyton Manning.

No one player is bigger than the Super Bowl, but Peyton is pretty damned close this year. I like to listen to sports talk radio when I'm not listening to political talk radio.
A huge amount of the talk has been about the future of Peyton Manning instead of the Super Bowl. All the speculation as to what will happen with Peyton should have odds makers in Vegas trying to make book on it.

I listened to Jim Irsay being interviewed on the Jim Rome show the other day. He said emphatically that he had not made up his mind on the matter yet, he also said no matter what he decided, he would be in a no win situation,
that last statement I do believe is true. No matter what Irsay does, there will be much Monday morning quarterbacking of that decision.
You can't even put into words what Peyton means to Indy, not only for his incredible talent, but also for the quality of his character.
I can understand him not wanting to hang up his cleats, he is the ultimate competitor.
The highs and lows of playing in front of tens of thousands of cheering fans and millions more on TV has made him an adrenalin junkie. He has been on a non-stop roller coaster ride for decades.


As depressing as not seeing number 18 on the field driving defenses crazy anymore, can you imagine seeing him lying on the field not able to move his arms and legs, or worse?
You've had a great ride Peyton, nothing will ever take that away. As much as we wanted to see you in a Colts uniform until you were ready for that rocking chair, I think more than a few of us are thinking......


Stay down Peyton, stay down.
Stay off the roller coaster.

No comments: