Wednesday, May 25, 2011

LITTLE PINK HOUSES

Johnny's Little Pink House

I was with a friend last Sat. on Monroe reservoir doing a shakedown cruise on his new boat. It is probably the largest lake in Indiana and without a doubt the prettiest lake. Back in the late 70’s I was on that lake almost every weekend with my old junker boat doing some serious drunken skiing. It has been more than 30 years since I had been there and my buddy was showing me some of the changes to the landscape. One impressive addition to the shoreline was the estate of one John Mellencamp.

He was born in Seymour Indiana and now mostly resides in Bloomington, at least he did until he dumped his third wife in favor of Meg Ryan (allegedly).

As we idled by his enormous lakeside mansion and the expansive grounds I had several flashbacks. Not the ones from the 70’s, but several comments made by the Hoosier rocker concerning politics, the wealthy, the poor, taxes, ect. In his expert opinion, the government (i.e. you and me who pay taxes so other people don’t have to get off their ass) needs to give much much more money to the non-producers and to farmers who are not as successful as they should be (even though the government (us) give out billions to farmers in the form of subsidies).
One statement he made really sums up how he feels; he was being interviewed by a network news program several years ago and he was talking about Farm aid. The interviewer asked him about the rework on the Statue Of Liberty that was going on at that time which was being funded privately. He said, “who gives a shit? Let it fall down, they should be using that money for farms”
He is talented to be sure, he as written a lot of great songs, and some really shitty ones too.

Hey, Johnny Cougar, I have a great idea! Lets flush out your obscenely fat bank accounts and give that money out to the needy, don’t fret now, you keep back a mil or two for your own upkeep. That would be enough for most of us, course we wouldn’t be able to live in big fancy mansions on the lake or have big car collections or chase skirts out it Hollywood.
Time for you to step up and show you’re not really a hypocrite John.
Now be honest, you really don’t need all that fluff do you?
Didn’t you sing about being born in a small town and you would die in a small town?
Time for you to put your bundle of money were your mouth is:
I would be interested to see which one is bigger.

3 comments:

Greybeard said...

He's on my "list".

Hypocrite is exactly the right word.
The left is full of 'em...
They want to feel superior to the rest of us, "just don't expect us to actually live the way we speak."

(With the exception of Ed Begley Jr.)

CnC said...

It's a shame this guys is like that, I liked his a lot of his music and the fact he was from this area. I don't know if he always felt this way or he just went Hollywood one day.
I think a lot of people in the entertainment business go along with this attitude to get in with the right crowd, that makes them even worse in my book.

Rita said...

I remember when he first was becoming a nationally known artist and appeared on American Band Stand. I remember him saying how ridiculous it was that people were paying $8 to $10 for concert tickets (THAT's how long it's been) and they could have seen him pouring concrete for nothing only a year before.

I just think fame messes up nearly every single person. It provides them with some grandious ego where they think they know more than everyday Americans when in actuality, they have become so isolated they do not know or have long forgotten what being a regular hard working American is like.

I'd prefer my boring life to having some precious existence and thinking I had the answers to everything because I can bring in thousands of people to a concert.

Fame? No thanks.