Friday, November 11, 2011

YOU GO NORTH I'LL GO SOUTH

You learn stuff if you have been married 3 times. One of the things you learn is, it's a he'll of a lot easier to jump off a cliff than go through a damn divorce. The other thing ? Some times it's a good idea to spend the weekend 5 or 6 states apart. 
We didn't intentionally set out to do this, it just worked out that way. She had a good reason to go to Wisconsin with some friends this weekend and mom and my siblings made plans to go to Huntsville Alabama to see my aunt and cousins. 
I have missed the last several trips down here and I am looking forward to seeing them all again. 
I hope I get some time to tour Red Stone Arsenal again while I'm down there.  I was just a kid the last time I got to see that place. My uncle worked there as did Wernher von Braun
At the end of WW2 us and the Russians divvied up all the good German rocket scientists. Judging from both early space programs, they got off to a faster start but we caught up and eventually won the space race. 
Before my uncle Bob started working at Redstone he spent several years working for the Secret Service. He couldn't tell us what he did there, well I guess he could have but he would have had to kill us after. 
Uncle Bob worked his ass off to get through college after serving in the Navy during WW2. He was a door gunner in a Naval aircraft. He had an attack of bleeding ulcers and was put in the hospital, his B24 crew took off without him and crashed due to mechanical problems. The entire crew perished when the plane went down. 
This blog didn't start out thinking about the sacrifices made by all of our vets, but I'm glad it took that turn after all this is Veterans Day. 
Thank you Vets! 
Everyday!

No comments: