Friday, June 17, 2011

MY WATER BROKE !


She called me and said my water broke this morning! I was as you could guess very excited at the prospect of having another baby in the family. We already knew the sex of the baby by means of an ultra sound so that mystery was solved.
It's a wonder of nature the fascination we humans have towards our offspring. I know it comes from the God-given need we have for procreation, but when your holding a baby, you realize it goes much deeper then that. You stand there looking at this little miracle that you share a certain amount of genetic code with. You only hope that only the best part of your genetic makeup made it through and the genes that are responsible for the really stupid mistakes you've made in your life ended up in the genome trash heap.
Turns out I had nothing to worry about, my little girl turned out great. That was over 23 years ago.

June 2nd, this morning that very same little girl called me and said, "my water broke this morning! We have already had one false alarm when she started having contractions 4 weeks too early. I was glad it was a false alarm that time.
So when I heard her water broke I thought, this has to be a done deal. Wrong! turns out her water had not acually broken, that was a couple of weeks ago and we were all ready to welcome Trenton to planet Earth, but it was not to be at this time.

June 13, this latest false alarm Monday makes it 3. We were all convinced that the third time was to be the charm. My daughter was having regular contractions and it looked like all systems were go. Wrong!  Little Trenton had other plans even though my daughter was desperately trying to convince the doctors that she was ready to deliver a healthy baby by any means necessary. She was so disappointed when "failure to launch" was called and the mission was scrubbed again.
I was very anxious to meet my new grandson and first grandchild, but I will be happy to wait until he is ready. I just feel so bad for my daughter; she is so ready to have this baby.

June 16 Trenton's due date and he is nowhere in sight. She is on the schedule to have labor induced next week unless nature takes its course before then. Tonight’s a full moon and there are wife’s tales and statistics to lend encouragement that this will be the day.
I believe that the moon affects the Earth in a scientific way not a metaphysical way. Having said that, it is scientific fact that during a full moon, billions of coral reefs launch their offspring; other species also use the full moon to begin the cycle of life. Whether the increased light from the full moon, or the changes in it's gravitational effect on us, or the resulting tidal forces that lend a hand to nature, I don't have a clue.
June 16 and 17 the real labor has begun, the "screw natural childbirth, gimme drugs !!!" Kinda labor pains. She went to the hospital last night (maybe there is something to the full moon theory) with really painful contractions. The problem was she still was not progressing so they sent her home early this morning. Now she's back in the hospital and progressing and getting the requested drugs. I think the 5th time will finally be the charm.
June 17th, he's finally here ! And just as I suspected he was worth the wait. Born at 4:01 PM and weighing in at  a whopping 7 lbs 13 oz.
I was trying to find something very profound to say about finally meeting my grandson, but I am at a loss for words.  I do however feel very profound at this moment!



THE BOY WHO CRIED WOLF


4 comments:

Joe said...

congrats

CnC said...

thanks Joe

CJ said...

Congrats, Grandpa and all involved!

cjh

CnC said...

thank you CJ