Monday, May 12, 2014

CORNER OFFICE WITH A VIEW


I started my new job today. Well technically I guess it's not a job since no money will be changing hands. I will be getting a free campsite in a beautiful State park located just a few miles from my place at the lake so there's that. I have been looking for a way to move to Nashville Indiana and this looks like my ticket. I'm still looking for a travel trailer, that will be my new home for the foreseeable future, here in Indy and 3 months in Florida during the winter.
Still working on getting a site lined out in Florida doing the same deal, working part time as a volunteer at a park in exchange for a free campsite. If I don't get a free site in Florida I'm going anyway and just pay for a place to park my camper.

Even though I don't have my camper yet, I decided to go ahead and start working at the park today. Although I have an extensive background in construction, HVAC and appliance repair I told the Park Supervisor I was not above picking up trash or cleaning bathrooms. Well I didn't have to clean any bathrooms today, I did do my share of menial tasks and I didn't mind it one bit. They paired me with a young fella, nice kid who lived in that area his whole life.
We stated the day doing touch up work on the pool. What we did really didn't help, it needs a major renovation to the concrete surface but this is the State so the money's just not there. I learned a long time ago not to let the screwed way the Government operates get to me too much.
We spent most of the day driving around looking for trash, I really enjoyed that the most. We drove all through the park and I saw parts of it I have never seen before. Stan may only be 23 years old but he is an old soul.
As we drove through every nook and cranny of the park on our quest to pick up every piece of trash we talked about lots of things but mostly about our love of the outdoors and music. He asked me if I liked Bluegrass music and he was delighted when I told him one of my favorites was The Dillard's, they played the Darlin's on The Andy Griffith Show. That was one of his favorites too. Stan is in a local band that plays Blues, he also loves Rush and Pink Floyd, yeah this kids alright. The kid was only hired to work at the park a month ago and is making minimum wage, but he is happy with his job and he plans on working his way up. What the hell is the matter with that kid? Doesn't he know how he is being oppressed?
 
I thought about my last job while we were winding through the park, the difference in the stress level is beyond comparison. I told Stan that he may not be making big bucks but the view from his office was hard to beat. It was not a big surprise to me that Stan already knew that.

6 comments:

Rita said...

Nice. Refreshing that a young kid has his priorities straight.

Z said...

Wow, I am so happy that you're getting out of the rat race!
Congratulations!
Yes, you can't beat THAT room with a view :-)

CnC said...

Yeah Rita, I like this kid, I'll have to go see his band play.
The people I work with are great. Gotta find a camper soon. Talked to the Park Supervisor this morning, it's all set! Thanks Z, I'm in that park all he time, glad I can call it home soon!

Ed Bonderenka said...

and morrels?

CnC said...

I found some Sunday Ed just enough for one person to have a snack, found a few Sat. But I think they are done for now.

Kid said...

I too am looking at leaving the cube life behind.