Thursday, October 13, 2011

WHO THROWS A SHOE, HONESTLY?



That was Austin Powers reaction to being hit on the head by a flying shoe thrown by Random Task.
I had to explain to my kids why their father was rolling on the floor laughing hysterically at a henchman of Doctor Evil's named Random Task throwing a shoe was the funniest damned thing I had seen in years.
I could not have expected them to know about Oddjob from the James Bond movie Goldfinger who threw a metal-rimmed hat that could cut the head off of a statue.

 I'm sure they were in the vicinity when I watched the old classic on TV but I doubt the old Bond movies would make much of an impression on kids 20 years ago.
Those two movies got some replay time in the old noggin cinema this morning after I read a story on Joseph Hyungmin Son, the guy who played Random Task in the Austin Powers movie.
Seems that Son is accused of killing his prison cellmate, I didn't even know that the guy was in prison.
Also noted, the guy he killed was a sex offender (no big loss there.)
How Random came to be in prison was pretty bizarre. He was arrested for vandalism, while in custody his DNA was checked against the database and it came up a match.
Back in 1990 Task was involved with the kidnapping, torture and sexual assault of a woman, no one was charged in that crime until Random Task got pinched for vandalism.
The perv he killed was in the joint for failure to register as a sex offender.

Now here is two weighty subjects that just begs for a good debate.
Many believe that DNA collections should be mandatory starting at birth and go into a central databank.
Also there are people that feel that child molesters, after they have paid their debt to society should not be punished again by being required to register.
Arguments can be made on both sides on both of those controversial subjects.
I happen to believe that, ACLU be damned, compulsory DNA registration would work for me. I'm not planning to leave my DNA laying around anywhere where it could get me into trouble; hell I don't even know where Monica Lewinsky is.
As far as the sex registry goes, when you look at the recidivism rate for these offenders it's pretty close to 100% and when you count the ones that continue to offend but just figured how not to get caught it is 100%.
So I say hell yes, make em register, I will go you one better. Keep them in prison FOREVER!
I didn't really look at this story about Joseph Hyungmin Son to write about either one of these two debatable subjects.
I just thought it would be a funny twist if it turns out that Random Task beat the child molester to death with his shoe.
You just know someone there would say, "Who beats a perv to death with a shoe, honestly?”


 

4 comments:

Rita said...

Wait, are you saying you think EVERYONE should have their DNA on record, or just those that have been arrested?

Sounds a little too Orwellian for me.

I think convictions should require DNA, not sure that arrests should be.

CnC said...

DNA us all that's my gut reaction to combat murder and rape. In reality it's not going to happen in a million years. It is too much of a privacy invasion. In my perfect little world it would happen but the process would never be abused. In the real world abuses would creep in eventually. Big Brother would use it for it's own devices. Insurance companies would do anything for this data. Even dating would be effected. Instead of what's your sign? You would say what's your strand?

Rita said...

Ha. You don't realize WHAT the insurance companies ALREADY know about you.

I saw the medical data that's available on one of my consulting "gigs". It was fascinating and scary all at the same time.

The data I saw was from self-insured plans, but the insurance companies can project how much money they will be spending on you based on your doctor claims and your medications. They have a "diagnosis" even if you have never been diagnosed.

They know if you have high blood pressure but don't take your medication, they know if you are taking too many pain killers, they project out the costs of insuring you.

You wanna talk about Big Brother, just wait until the government has all that data at their fingertips and they get to decide whether it's cost effective to provide you with that cancer treatment.

NO. I do not want the government to have my DNA.

CnC said...

well Im sure obamacare wouldnt do that