Monday, February 9, 2015

LEGEND IN HIS OWN MIND


I can't remember what happened yesterday, but I think if I had ever been in a helicopter that had been hit by RPG fire it would be burned into my memory for the rest of my life.
I have known 3 men who lived and survived that experience in Vietnam.
One vet recounted his experience of being shot down at night, crash landing and dodging tracers to make it to a rescue chopper.
Another vet was a door gunner that served 3 tours and was shot down 3 times. Another vet and fellow blogger and friend Pitchpull, probably has memories that would make my hair stand on end, if I had any hair.
 
Trauma does have a tendency to imprint much detail into ones mind.
I have one incident from my early childhood that was a near death experience that was forever imprinted in my feeble mind.
This occurred in the 50's when we lived on Rural Street before it was a no-go-zone for white people.
I was maybe 4 or 5 and was innocently innocently walking next to Rural Street balancing my young tender body on the curb testing my balance against the speeding Edsels and Desotas 
I looked up to see my towering father making a beeline towards me. Towering, all 5'8" of him. I started to greet him with a "hi daddyeeeeeeeeeee!"
Ass meet belt, belt meet ass.
I learned my lesson about playing in or in close proximity to traffic that day. If I didn't fear the oncoming traffic but I sure as hell feared dad's belt.
Now the fog of war, or the fog of 55 years has not changed that memory one bit. I could not conflate that experience with the multitude of ass whippings I got during the rest of my childhood. It's possible to forget major instances that occur in our lives but to say you misremembered a near death event that never happened to you is not, unless you are psychotic.

Brian Williams is certainly not the first anchor or journalist to make stuff up or "misremember".
In fact MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, NPR, PBS and most of the print news wouldn't have anything to talk about if the didn't make stuff up.
They are the propaganda arm of the left and they have to lie to make things like the debacle-in-chief not look like a complete ass.
The left claim that Fox News is the propaganda arm of the Right.
But that's just because news that is presented in a balanced form and not filtered through the prejudices or ulterior motives of leftists so it looks so foreign to them and does not serve their purpose.
In closing I do think Williams should give up the anchor gig but I don't think he should be drummed out of the business.
I still believe there is a place for him that would be very suited to his particular talent.
I hear they have an opening over at Onion News, can't think of a better match.


4 comments:

Greybeard said...

Stolen Valor?
I don't understand the need-
He has money, fame, seemingly a pretty great life. But obviously there's something missing.
He wanted to be a hero.
And now he's a goat.
Oddly, I feel sorry for him.

CnC said...

It's the need to be fascinating on Late Night and other circles I think.

CnC said...

They get used to lying about day to day things so the big things get easier to lie about .

Ed Bonderenka said...

It starts out with little things like war stories, and escalates to praising Obama.