Thursday, April 17, 2014

UPS AND DOWNS

Going through mini yo yo's on my weight and big yo yo's in my retirement account. I obsessively monitor both. I have a good handle on the former. I have little to no control on the latter, (did I get that right)?
I feel really fantastic health wise except for occasional knee issues, oh yeah and the drinking problem. By drinking problem I'm referring to the cervical spinal fusion on two levels of my neck that inhibit me from tipping up the can of beer to get that last drink. I really have to lean back and get my whole body into it to get that can cleaned out. I wouldn't want to be wasteful.

I started to get in shape a year and a half ago. Walking many miles and working out regularly. I have lost between 50 and 55 pounds and kept it off for the better part of a year. I had to drop 2 of my blood pressure meds because losing the weight made vascular system so happy.
I saw my Cardioligist this week. I love seeing this guy smile, when I first met him he didn't smile at me at all. I thought someone had just pissed in his corn flakes or something but it was me. It was 3 or 4 years ago and I was about to be hospitalized to be cardioverted out of Afib for the first time of my Afib career. He was also not smiling at me back then because of my lack of energy, getting winded after a short walks and high blood pressure even though I was on several meds and being stuck in Afib for days.

Although I may feel 20 years younger now, I have to remind myself that I don't look 20 years younger. It helps me keep things in perspective. I'm not out chasing after 30 year olds, or even 40 year olds. I'm happy staying in my own age group, they're slower, it's easier to cut them from the heard.
I understand maintaining the weight and keeping fit will be an ongoing battle for the rest of my life.
I also understand that just because I feel great, that is no guarantee of longevity. Pistol Pete Marivitch always comes to mind when I'm feeling euphoric. But I figure as long as I keep this guy smiling I'm doing the best I can.


6 comments:

Rita said...

I've told you a million time to stop that awful comparison to Pistol Pete. You've done an amazing job getting yourself in shape, don't fill your mind with that negative example.

Proud of you Bro. More than you know. Love you.

CnC said...

I know, I know, I guess he irony of feeling so great right before you keel over would be so me. Lol
Love you too!

Greybeard said...

It takes discipline to do what you've done... something FEW have these days.
You have the right to be proud of yourself.

Greybeard said...

It takes discipline to do what you've done... something FEW have these days.
You have the right to be proud of yourself.

CnC said...

Thanks GB, how goes your battle?

Ed Bonderenka said...

"it's easier to cut them from the heard."
Looks like you got one, though.