Sunday, April 6, 2014

STONE, MARBLE AND METAL (if I see Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi in here shits gonna get real!)



Having ended the debate of the pro-foreskin/anti-foreskin with the red crotch demonstrators on the Capitol lawn, we walked around the Capitol Building to see the Supreme Court Building. I figured surely there would be a more substantive demonstration there.
Ehhh, not so much. Didn't looked like much happening at all. We got through security and were told the court was in session but for the most part things seemed kinda dead there. So we headed across the street.

We got to the Capitol Building just in time to take the next tour.
I was highly impressed with the architecture of the interior and the abundance of artwork.

The Rotunda was spectacular, much of the artwork especially the murals reminded me of Italy which makes sense due to the fact that Italian artist Constantino Brumidi was commissioned for most of the work done there.

The tour didn't include going into the House or Senate chambers, we were instructed to visit the office of our states Congressmen or Senators to get a pass. We were going to be pushed for time so we had to pass on that. Probably just as well because for years now I have watched those crooked jackasses Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid make complete fools of themselves on TV. I have screamed and cursed and flipped them the bird so many times when they appeared on my TV, I wasn't sure what I would do if I ever saw those dipshits in the real world. And I'm not sure if I had enough bail money with me.
The girlfriend probably would not have taken it so well either.

I have to tell on myself while I'm on the subject of my propensity to blurt out my politics at times. When we first arrived in DC we walked the 2 miles to the White House. Looking across the expanse of beautifully maintained lawn at the structure that has housed our leaders since it was rebuilt due to the war of 1812. I think about men who have called 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue home during that time. Some of the best this country has to offer and some of the worst. I thought about what a buffoon Jimmy Carter was and still is. I thought about what an embarrassment Slick Willie was and still is not to mention his wife. Now the current resident embodies both of those poor qualities plus a couple more.

For the most part I maintained some measure of restraint and civility aside from the rude gesture I made at the building but regretted it almost instantly.
It was when we walked around to the North Lawn I noticed that across the street someone had erected what amounted to a protest booth. There were many signs on the booth but the one that I focused on was a sign that had the Star of David and words condemning Israel. I didn't even notice the person who was at the booth. When we got close to it I muttered possibly loud enough to be heard at the booth "some asshole doesn't care for Jews".
Renee said something to me, I don't remember what, but whatever she said got me to focus not on the sign but on the sign maker.
There she was, this little hunchback old lady, she looked older than Methuselah.
I felt like a jackass, still do. But then again I pretty much feel like that all the time.

I found out later her name is Concepcion Picciotto, she's somewhat famous, at least in the anti-nuke anti-Israel circles. I read on the Internet she has been protesting there for decades. Mostly denouncing the the U.S. for our use of the Atom bomb on Japan and our maintaining a nuclear deterrent. Yeah I know, it's kinda played out, but she probably feels like it beats playing Mahjong with all the other hunchback old ladies, 

After Renee's son and I left the Capitol Building we had a little time left before we were supposed to go to another seminar dinner so we walked toward the Washington Monument.   
We didn't walk all the way to it, the Monument is still surrounded by scaffold about 1/3 the way up. It is still undergoing repairs it sustained from an earthquake in 2011. I would have loved going up to the top. I watched a YouTube of someone going up to the top and the views were incredible, may have to make another trip.

The Smithsonian Metro station was located close to the center of the National Mall. I sat on a bench close to the Metro station and just took in the experience. Renee and I have talked about the importance of "being in the moment" at special times and places. As many places in the world she has traveled to and lived in she knows a thing or two about that. I have a tendency to let my camera be in the moment because I want to preserve the moment with something more dependable than my addled mind.
So I stopped taking video and stills with my Galaxy S4 and just soaked up the sights and sounds of the National Mall.
The Cherry Blossom trees were still days away from blossoming, there were no Million Man marchers here (there never was), but you could feel the history all around you here. 
I never realized the proximity of all these famous landmarks before, everything is right here, within my walking distance.

I used up the remaining minutes of our extra time and it was time to jump on the Metro and meet Renee at the Bistro Bistro. No that wasn't a typo, that's the name of the place where the seminar organizer was having the dinner.
We met up with Renee and made the short walk to the restaurant. Again my manners and protocol would be tested. The food buffet and the alcohol were all included in the price I paid last night which included last nights finger food and booze. It was a very good deal and as per usual I made the most of it.
Luckily a lid was kept on controversy and the conversation was light and interesting and for the most part I held true to the Lincoln/Twain adage "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt", at least I think I did.
I should have remembered to do that the day before when at the White House I inadvertently called that little hunchbacked old lady an asshole.

Sometimes I do go ahead and remove all doubt.
Apologies to the little old hunchback anti-Semite.

No comments: