Tuesday, May 14, 2013

ON WALDEN POND inspired by Renee






A recent acquaintance likened my little getaway down here at the lake to Thoreau's little cabin on Walden's Pond.
That maybe is a stretch, but she made be think of my little shack in a more romantic frame of mine. 
Thoreau had just a touch more room in his little cabin, 10x16 as opposed to my meager 10x12. But did he have a loft as mine does?
My Homes By Kaczynski, shares the same floor plan of the Unibomber's home. 
 
I know Thoreau didn't write with an IPhone as I do now sitting on the steps of my little fishing cabin and I doubt he would have even if he lived during our times. 

Our political views most certainly would not have been shared, though I would hope we could sit on an old hand hewn bench and debate our philosophies over a drink like civilized men. 
We could find common ground when we talked of our love for nature and the peace we find sitting out front of our cabins at night looking to the heavens in awe. 
We definitely would have shared his Abolitionist stand.

I came down here today with the idea of getting a little 
work done before I leave for Italy. Over a year ago I bought a pallet of Brown County stone to build a pathway from the steps of my cabin to the gangplank that leads to the dock. 
I had to halt the project due to a shoulder injury and operation to repair the damage. 
I have been sitting writing and alternating looking at the page of yellow paper on my iPhone and looking up to the stone pathway trying to decide which stone looks like it would fit in next. I just laid this one in, a large one that I carried up from my walk in the woods earlier. 
I could judge that my pallet of stones would not be sufficient to built the walkway and the floor of my outside shower so I have made it a habit when returning from the woods to select a stone from the creek bed and carry it home with me. 
This is my woodland workout and I think my body agrees with this exercise. And I think Thoreau would agree with this slight adjustment of nature. 


I hope my little place of reverie will stay in the family long after I'm gone and my grand kids and some day their kids will put away their IPads or whatever device the wizards of Apple will come up with and come to papaws cabin. 

I like the idea that these children some of who I have not met and will never meet, will walk down this pathway Im building to the dock and jump in the lake for a good old fashion swim. 


 My path ended up taking some unexpected turns, both of them. But I guess it was just supposed to be that way. 







2 comments:

Renee Depres said...

Beautiful! Both the blog and papaw's cabin. Paving the path for generations to come. What time could be better spent? And I would pay to sit in on the conversation between you and Thoreau....

CnC said...

Aww nice you left a comment! See you shortly!