Saturday, July 14, 2012

WITH OR WITHOUT AIR

Got a text last night (July 6th) about 10:00 PM from my renter while I was laying in the fishing shed.  "Hi Mark are you still out of town?" Shit! This ain't gonna be good.  "yeah" I wrote back, "what's wrong?" " Well we have the air turned down to 69 and it's 81 in here". Damn, I would kill to be in 81 degree air right now. We picked a great week to spend at the lake with in our little austere cabin.  It was over 94 in there and that wasn't a dry heat either.  The heat had been pretty tolerable until late Thursday and on Friday I was having a tough time of it.

 We we're going to stay till Sunday but the humidity creeped up and that makes all the difference. Like I needed to say that. Can you believe there are still people that say when discussing the hot weather "you know it's not the heat it's the humidity".  No shit Sherlock!



  We left at 3:00, I took the picture when we headed up I 65.  I know car thermometers aren't the most accurate, but suffice it to say its hot!  Earlier in the week most days we had a nice breeze and the water was clear and cool.


 When you got out of the water it felt chilly, then you look at the thermometer and it reads 102 and you think, you know it's not the heat it's the humidity. When the humidity is that low the water molecules want to leap off your sexy bronze-god like body.  When that happens a "change of state" occurs and going from a liquid state to a vapor state heat is absorbed.  That's a nice little function for the human body when there's room between the air molecules for more water molecules to sneak into.  Hey I learned something in heating and air training anyway.
  I had just checked out the AC at the rental before my 2 week hiatus, 1 week in Fort Meyers and 1 week down here at the lake. It was working fine then and probably still is.  HVAC systems aren't or at least shouldn't be set up to keep you at 70 degrees when temps are in the high 90's much less this many days of 100 plus temps.  If a HVAC system has that much cooling power when it's that hot then it wouldn't run long enough to dehumidify your house.  And as you know, you know it's not the heat it's the humidity". I had this conversation with more than 1 customer and the response ranges from a look of disbelief to a wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Not every home is the same, I will be happy with 75 today. My rental though has no shade and CP Morgan went with the smallest AC units they could get by with.


July 14th
  Anyway that all happened during the 4th vacation down at the lake. I never got around to finishing the brilliant point I was trying to make, but since I'm stuck here in the car waiting for Jojo to finish her "ten minute shopping" for a dress I thought I would get rid of this disjointed post.  I'm bored so what the hell. I didn't proof it, who the hell cares about the pointless rumblings of a mad man any how.  Have a great weekend.
  P S. I hate Kohl's !

4 comments:

Joe said...

But was the unit working or not?

I had the same conversation with my wife last week when the temps were 100+ four days in a row -- "of course the A/C cannot keep up, it is 100 out there".

Yes, Kohls is hell on earth. ten minutes -- hah! For my wife it would be like 60 minutes if I am lucky

CnC said...

Joe, Yes it was working, but I was able to get the freon charge dialed in a little better and get them a little more cooling. I had overcharged it somewhat 2 weeks prior believing there was a much worse leak than what there actually was. I did tell them again that when the temps get really high and especially for that many days, the AC’s cannot and should not be able to keep up.
I also explained to them I have central AC but I also have fans in my living room and bedroom. You can tolerate higher temps in the house if you have air moving around your body. That does two things, it speeds up evaporation of the moisture (sweat) on your body and it also strips away the layer of heat that surrounds your body.
Peoples eyes kind of glaze over when I give them that spiel but its true.

As far as the shopping experience goes, she got me there under false pretences. She actually went to 2 stores while I sat in the parking lot playing with my IPhone. You can never trust a woman when it comes to the shopping experience. I should have known better, I blame myself.

Ed Bonderenka said...

I find myself setting the program to drop a degree every couple hours overnight and leaving the blower fan on to equalize the air.

BTW, have you considered ritalin? :)

CnC said...

thats a good plan Ed, and no on the ritalin, Xanax is the better choice sometimes haha