Sunday, August 28, 2011

FANCY FEAST

HE SAID: SHE SAID #4
Alley Cat: hi Puss n Boots, watcha doin?
Puss n Boots: oh, hi Alley Cat, just havin a little snack”. "Snack? We don't get snacks around here, unless we catch a damn mouse or something!" Well I must be a favorite I guess cause one of them just gave me a snack" Which one ?!!" Inquired Alley Cat. "The runt” said Puss n Boots,” the one they call Little Rita"

"So what kind of treat did she give you? A dead chipmunk"? "No it was a little slice of people toe". "No shit? Wonder where the hell she got that". "She sliced it off her own paw, she must really like me! She came running by and I was sitting here looking all cute and all and she just stepped on this funny looking squarey metally thing and just cut me off a slice of people toe. Wasn't that nice of her"? "That's called a metal drawer” said Alley Cat  “Big Daddy leaves stuff like that out after he works on a kitty-smasher". "Big Daddy"? "You know, the one who drove his kitty-smasher into the big poop ditch that the boy had dug, but never used, he called it a pool".

Narrator: Yeah I took a little poetic license to tell the "Oh Dear Toe" incident from the viewpoint of the only other witness to the event. I just remember hearing the blood-curdling scream. I ran to Rita to see the cool blood, when I looked down at her toe and realized the bottom of her big toe was missing. I had never seen such a sight and damned near passed out.
Dad had left some metal part drawers out in front of the garage and Rita was running barefoot and caught the edge of it with her big toe and cleanly sliced off the kitty treat.
Getting cuts on your feet was not unusual when we were kids because in the summer we hardly ever wore shoes. We played in the creek next to our house and there lots of broken glass there just waiting to slice a kids foot. Being barefoot kids did have it's plus though. One of the most fun things to do was to go tromping through our field after a summer rain and see how far you could sink in the mud. I still remember the feeling of the warm mud squishing between my toes.
By the end of summer the soles of our feet were tough as leather, but they were no match for glass or the sharp metal edge of a parts drawer. Rita paid the price in a big way. Going through painful skin graft surgery and walking around on a piece of her stomach for the rest of her life. Until then the worst thing you could do was stubbing your big toe, then restubbing it when it was scabbed over. I don’t know exactly why, but toe stubbing seems to be a malady of childhood. I have had many injuries from my teens up until now, but not one toe-stubbing incident since I was a kid. I guess sometime between late childhood and early teens, you stop and ask yourself,” why the hell am I running everywhere I go? Slow down, especially when I got no shoes on.”
 Even though Rita was my nemesis I still felt horrible about her being in the hospital and going through all she had to endure. There was an armistice between us that lasted at least a couple of weeks after her injury.


Alley Cat: so tell me Puss, what does people toe taste like?
Puss n Boots: do you remember the chicken holocaust?”
"Are you talking about the day when Big Daddy pulled the heads off all the chickens and the kids laughed while the headless chicks danced around then later the kids took chickens out of the boiling tub of water and pulled the feathers out and while they were busy doing that we chewed on the chicken heads"?
"Yeah, people toe tastes just like that". "No shit"? "Yeah, they taste just like chicken"

To read the She Said version go here.http://ihavearighttospeaktoo.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Rita said...

Nice. You get to kiss the ugly toe next.

Rita said...

I like you said we had a truce for a couple weeks. Given that I was in the hospital for 10 days out of that 14, that must have pretty tough for you to be nice to me for a whole four days. lol. And I don't seem to recall those four days either.

CJ said...

CnC -

Too funny. You guys crack me up. And I'll be you were a lot more scared than you're letting on...

cjh

CnC said...

It was pretty horrible, my blog was probably not in good taste, except to the cat!
That's what we figured happened to the bottom half of rita's toe. The docs were pretty bad. They could have waited till she was under sedation to pull the dressing of her toe. It's makes me sick to think of her having to go thru all that at such a young age. It's a wonder any of us survived all the stuff that happened back then

Rita said...

Given that I'm the "victim" here, I don't think your blog was in bad taste. Since no one ever found the piece of my missing toe and we had so many cats, we did assume the cat ate it, which is kinda gross if you think about it. lol.

I just realized with this HS-SS story you might not have known what happened at the hospital. Helen would have been the only one old enough to come up, but she never did. Mom was there a lot, Dad was working, so I only remember Mom there after that first night.

And I remember one day where I kept calling for a bedpan (yeah, they wouldn't even let me get up for that) and they wouldn't come. By the time mom got there I thought I was going to burst.

CnC said...

When I read your version, I felt bad about what I had written, maybe that’s why I had that weird assed dream last night. Your were behind my service van in a little bitty clown car, trying to use it to help me pull a huge piece of cardboard out of the van. Mom drove up behind you in a big yellow school bus pushing your clown car then the bus started hopping up and down and hopped onto your clown car.
I ran to your car and pulled moms bus off and your head was sticking out the broken windshield and your face was kinda squished. As I pulled the squished top of the car off your head, you said through squished lips “ what a week I’m having ”. I was crying but it turned out you were gonna be ok, just a squished face. I woke up crying then I started laughing about what a screwed up dream I just had.
Bottom line, stay out of clown cars and if you see mom behind you in a big yellow school bus, run like hell!

Rita said...

Just what kind of medication did you take last night ???