Tuesday, October 21, 2014

LIFE ON EIGHT WHEELS

Winter is approaching fast. My preparation for it is vastly different this year.
My checklist expands and contracts on a daily basis. I need my checklist nowadays, I need one just going to the IGA for more than two items. Moving my existence 1100 miles south for 3 months will demand the mother of all checklists.
I never envisioned I would be living this vagabond life at his time, in this manner, with so few strings holding me down. And I could not be more happy how things have turned out.
Serendipity has been redefined. Do I deserve it? No. Am I going to take full advantage of the crazy shit that has brought me to this junction in my stupid little life? What do you think? 

My 5 months of living "up the hill" on this incredible 15,000 acres of "my park" has been the happiest time of my 59 years of life on this batshit crazy ball of dirt spinning around the universe.
I have become friends with some of the best people on Earth up here on the hill. I have made some contributions that have been acknowledged by these "best people on Earth". 
If that sounds arrogant you will forgive me as I admit that no I did not cure cancer, no, it did not stop Ebola from migrating to the U.S.
What I did do was, haul horseshit, pick up trash along side of the road, repair everything from 35 year old refrigerators and airconditioners, dump trucks, tractors, mowers, appliances, use native cut lumber to side a solar kiln, drive tractors on perilous overlooks to kill all manner of invasive weeds, pull shifts of Security detail to ensure the sanctity on my park.
Yes boys and girls I have done it all and no one has tried to force me to sell one damned maintenance agreement to the customer!

This is the Fall destination not only for folks of this state but I have seen license plates from all around.
It is beautiful here.
I walk out the drive that connects the Service Area of the park which happens to be where me and my camper reside and there are 3 amazing overlooks that beckon my attention every day. There are beers to drink and thoughts to ponder there. Sunrises to admire when I cannot sleep and sunsets down the road that are worth the hike.

It will be difficult to leave my new home in a little over 2 months though I have been assured that I amwelcome  to stay and welcome to return.

It has been an extremely rewarding 5 months here and sitting in my little camper as I write this, I stare at the back wall. That wall opens up! This is a toy hauler travel trailer, the couch and table fold away and the cargo door opens and my bike will roll up and be straped in.
My time in Fort Myers will be devided up in segments of working at the beautiful Koreshan State Park, hanging out with baby sis and my bro in law and best friend, riding my bike down to the Keys and camping in all points in between.

I am in a very good place right now but I know that life can turn on a dime.
I just hope it waits a little while.

4 comments:

Joe said...

Bon voyage my Internet friend

CnC said...

thanks Joe, but I wont be but a few milliseconds away!

Rita said...

I thought I was your best friend.

CnC said...

AHHHHH Rita you know you have always been my favorite!